1. The brain decides if it wants you to feel pain, not the tissue site.
2. Acute pain is a normal, protective mechanism.
3. Pain is an ACTION signal.
4. Pain does not always equal the amount of tissue injury - a paper cut!
5. You can have tissue damage without pain - a bruise that goes unnoticed.
6. You can have pain without tissue damage.
7. Two people can have the same injury but experience the pain at different intensities.
8. Not getting enough sleep can increase your pain level.
9. Thinking about pain can make it worse.
10. Pain needs to be dealt with early on otherwise it can get out of control.